I am currently working with children who have just turned 3 years of age. Although most of them can count to 10, I wanted to focus on counting items individually and number recognition to 5.
With St Patrick’s Day just around the corner I thought I would create some themed activities to encourage this. I have started with a simple number line. I added a numeral to each space and also Shamrocks in the same pattern as we see on dice.
This reinforces children’s understanding of
- Cardinality – That this represents how many of something there is.
- Subitising – Instantly recognising the quantity without having to count.
- Conservation of number – Knowing that the quantity is the same however the items are arranged and grouped.
- Place different items on the number line and add them together. Use the counting on method so that children can see that they do not need to start at 1 each time.
- Use 2 different items on the number line to look at number bonds to 5.