Communication and Language- Listening and attention- 8-20 months
- Has a strong exploratory impulse.
- Concentrates intently on an object or activity of own choosing for short periods.
- Passes toys from one hand to the other.
- Holds an object in each hand and brings them together in the middle, e.g. holds two blocks and bangs them together.
- Picks up small objects between thumb and fingers.
Expressive Art and Design – Exploring and using media and materials – 8-20 months
- Explores and experiments with a range of media through sensory exploration, and using whole body.
- Notices and is interested in the effects of making movements which leave marks.
I have been watching how she tackles the different levels in my garden. I only have a couple of little level changes but it has been interesting to watch how she approaches these obstacles. In the first week she was very weary of these steps but this week she is happy to crawl down them. I have been trying to encourage her to come down backwards but she is not keen and only seems to be able to crawl forwards. I think this is why she finds in confusing to turn and go backwards. She seems to have found her own way to do this though and it does seem quite safe and does work! She always tests the depth of the step before crawling off. Using one hand to see how far down the level goes and deciding if it is manageable.
Once she has worked out that this is a safe height and that she can manage it, she then crawls down it quite confidently!
She has also started to imitate what the other children are doing and how they are using the toys.
Personal, Social and Emotional – Making Relationships – 8-20 months
- Shows interest in the activities of others and responds differently to children and adults, e.g. may be more interested in watching children than adults or may pay more attention when children talk to them.
LEARNING INTENTIONS AND IDEAS FOR EXPANDING LEARNING:
CHARACTERISTICS OF EFFECTIVE LEARNING: