“J” is quite a gentle lad who finds it tricky to mix with others. He often seems overwhelmed by people and noise. The Duplo seems to have brought him out of himself a bit though and he is happy for others to come and join him.
Today he set up a little train station/yard thing….. I’m not totally sure to be honest!
The girls had decided to build a house with some of the Duplo and sat right next to him as he worked. They walked over to the box to get the pieces they needed and he chatted to them about what he was building.
He even started to include his industrial area in to their farm/house area. It was all very amicable and he offered to give them cars and helicopters to transport their animals.
I noticed that he tested the weight limit of each crane as well. Picking up different vehicles with a crane and seeing if it held or pulled the crane off the roof. He spent quite some time working on this.
- Use Duplo play as a way to bring “J” together with his peers.
- Expand on the crane investigation by suggesting we build a stronger tower and seeing if the crane can then hold more weight.
Today’s play, meets the following EYFS Prime and specific areas:
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Art and Design